Wednesday 20 April 2011

Location Vs Studio

We were deciding between location and studio settings for our editorial. Nikita and Stephanie were more keen to use location to make the shoot look a little more interesting.

Location Shooting

For the location shoot they suggested using a factory setting either modern or an abandonned depending on what we wanted the final iamges to look like:

Modern Factory


If we were to use a modern factory, we would be looking at using the conveyor belts as part of the shoot as it would add to the theme of the production line.

Abandonned Factory


If we were going to use an abandonned factory, I think the editorial would have to be a little more grungier and edgier.

If a location were to be used, I think I would prefer the abandonned factory as I think it has more of an edge to it; I think if we used the modern factory, it could look a little tacky. Also the problem with using a modern working factory is that the lighting would be very limited, they tend to use fluorescent lights which would wash out the images as they would all be under the same bright lights. There would be more control in the abandonned factory, although I think it would prove to be very difficult due to it being location and no electric for lighting etc.

Studio Shooting

Here I have found a shoot by Ed Salter, its a very basic shoot but you can see how you can vary your images by altering ight, adding props and using a mix of portrait and full length shots.



I think the styling is fairly plain and it could easily be improved, but I think the images look good as they are controlled, all the lighting can be changed easily and they have used props and wind machines to create different looks and movement to the images.

In my opinion, I sway more to studio shoots as they are easily controlled and you can vary looks and positions easily. You can control every aspect of the shoots when you photograph in a studio and it is also a lot easier from a stylists point of view as you can set out all of your clothing, accessories and hair and make up which is very hard to do on location. From experience I also feel that models are more at ease in a studio setting, especially when changing outfits and hair and make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment